JOHN JOHNSON / Housemasters Resident
ARK leeds uni was my party venue for many years i managed to keep up with the music until i was about 18 ,but had my collection stolen so basically gave up mixing ,
Now 36 years old and as my wife would say im having a mid life crisis, I’ve bought some decks and back at it ,and loving it, oldskool is coming back events are like the good old days the dance music industry is sounding good ,so no better time to fire the decks back up ,So 5 months in Ive started my Facebook page manshed productions , played my first live gig for Oldskool rules 3rd birthday bash ,and produced my first dance track signed to Yoonek records, I’ve recently found online radio an easy way to get mixes out there, I’ve now taken up a monthly slot on Housemasters radio which airs Saturdays from 7pm
The HMR Q&A
1. what made you start DJing?
music of my teenage era 90s house .and watching the djs at the Ark Leeds uni when i was 16
2. Who would you say was your biggest influence on the dance scene and why?
Rob Tissera for me as ive never had a bad night with him on the decks, house music anyway
3. Compare the scene now to how it was when you first started spinning. What differences, good or and bad, do you see. What do you see for the future of the DJ?
well this is a good one , id say the last 3/4 years the good old days of how it used to be have come back into clubbing and the house music era for me. it seem to lose its way a bit ,as for the future its looking good oldskool is a big hit at the moment
4. Favourite label, Favourite artist, Favourite track?
5. To date what has been the best experience you have had as a DJ?
well as a newbie playing my first live gig at Oldskool rules 3rd Birthday last month
6. If you could play anywhere, where would it be?
any big club in Ibiza, Kevin and Perry style
7. Your favourite Housemasters DJ and why?
as a top fella Mark Fryers had a few good nights out with him , dj wise Robbie Avery
8. Biggest mistake, biggest fail, most embarrassing moment as a DJ / at a gig?
online radio for me, managed to get my software on my laptop to play in reverse, live on a show
9. How do you keep check of ego?
i don’t probably the Mrs tells me or the other half of manshed productions
10. How do you find Housemasters, we like to call it your home of house music, do you see it like that and if not, how do we change that?
its a quality set up at Housemasters, top bunch of people