DJ KWIK / HOUSEMASTERS RESIDENT
DJ Kwik started mixing music & DJing in Chicago during the birth of house music in the early ’80’s. He DJ’d alongside Chicago’s world-famous DJ Gene Hunt in his basement, at house parties and a few local (Chicago Westside) venues. DJ Kwik’s style goes back to his Chicago roots (Frankie Knuckles, Farley “JackMaster” Funk, Kenny “Jammin” Jason & the Hot Mix 5, Steve “Silk” Hurley) but also his time spent in Panama.
He’s used the name, “DJ Kwik” since his days in Panama (mid 90s). Playing for a local radio station, “Patatus”, the station manager wanted her DJs to have catchy names and provided him with “DJ Kwik.” The name stuck, in part because he tends to play that way – “quickly” transitioning between tracks.
DJ Kwik has played at too many house/basement parties to count but his best time was his residency at “Dreams” Discotheque/dance club, and the radio station in Panama City, (Republic of) Panama.
Now based in Thailand, DJ Kwik has been a resident on HMR since late 2014. He hosts the Universal Grooves radio show on HMR and occasionally plays at a pub or bar in Thailand.
The HMR Q&A
1. what made you start DJing?
In ’82 or so, I was home from school sick and turned on radio – I heard the WBMX radio station, “Hot Lunch Mix.” The way the seamlessly transitions from one song to another and remixed the songs- I wanted to do the same.
2. Who would you say was your biggest influence on the dance scene and why?
No single person but The “Hot Mix Five” – five DJs who mixed every week on WBMX.
3. Compare the scene now to how it was when you first started spinning. What differences, good or and bad, do you see. What do you see for the future of the DJ?
It’s very watered down now, with everyone claiming to be a DJ but very few who put heart & soul into being creative. It will likely be even easier to mix in the future but also less and less heart and soul.
4. Favourite label, Favourite artist, Favourite track?
No favorite label and too many favorite artists or favorite tracks to list.
5. To date what has been the best experience you have had as a DJ?
As “Resident DJ” at “Dreams,” one of the biggest clubs in Panama back in the mid-to late ‘90s!! My night was Wednesdays and it was packed every Wednesday!
6. If you could play anywhere, where would it be?
Anywhere the crowd digs good house music.
7. Your favourite Housemasters DJ and why?
Duh! Me, I’m my favorite DJ and my biggest fan!
8. Biggest mistake, biggest fail, most embarrassing moment as a DJ / at a gig?
One night, I lifted the needle off the record that was playing live, just as I got the crowd rocking
9. How do you keep check of ego?
I’m not so silly to think I have or do anything that any other guy/gal can’t do.
10. How do you find Housemasters, we like to call it your home of house music, do you see it like that and if not, how do we change that?
I enjoy playing every week on HMR. I wish I had more time to play and interact & chat. It is home and other than having more time, I wouldn’t change anything.